Ruddigore 1973

Do you have memories of appearing in the G & S operas? Did you have a major part or were you a chorus "girl"?
garyrwise

Ruddigore 1973

Postby garyrwise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Under 14s Rugby and Rose Maybud in the same year. I can still hear the laughter.

John Saunders
Site Administrator

Re: Ruddigore 1973

Postby John Saunders » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:03 am

Very nice! One criticism that cannot be levelled at the RGS is that it failed to allow boys to get in touch with their feminine side, long before this became fashionable. One of my deepest regrets is being too shy to volunteer for G&S and now not being able to look back and see what I looked like in a frock. I am genuinely envious. RGS G&S productions were excellent. I have never warmed to any G&S productions I have seen since. They seem all wrong, using adult women in the parts that should be played by boys.

Welcome aboard, Gary - hopefully we will get some more contributions from post-1970 OWs.
John Saunders
RGS 1963-70 (personal website http://www.saund.co.uk)

Nick Planas

Postby Nick Planas » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:26 am

Wow - interesting to see all these names in the programme. I conducted this opera in February 2009 in Banbury, having not heard the music since the RGS performances - and amazingly I could recall most of the flute part. It was especially nice to do it again as this was the first 'show' I performed in on the flute, and it all came flooding back!

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Mr Holmes, if he is still with us?

John Saunders
Site Administrator

Postby John Saunders » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:03 am

How about this for a weird coincidence?

The leading part of Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd in this 1973 RGS G&S production was played by Graham Murnane.

I googled his name to find out what he is doing now and discovered he was working for a firm of European patent attorneys called ... Murgitroyd.

Just one letter different. You couldn't make it up. I'm pretty sure it's the same guy - here's a link.
John Saunders
RGS 1963-70 (personal website http://www.saund.co.uk)