Billy Willson (W J Willson)

Do you know what became of your schoolfriends? Or want to find out?
John Comer

Billy Willson (W J Willson)

Postby John Comer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 pm

I was a pal of Billy Willson in the years up to 1961. I went to Leeds university. Bill stayed down in Wycombe for a while. Then I heard that he had gone to the Scilly Isles as a waiter with a couple of other ne'er-do-wells from school (who were also quite good mates). I gathered later that he had gone straight and became the Head or Deputy Head of Downley primary school. The other two mates made their passage to Australia on a sheep ship, from Singapore, as I remember it, doing what only unskilled young men could possible do on such a ship and expect a free passage. (Those sheep don't just eat, by the way.)

Anyway, I lost touch with all of them. I had a melancholy email from a flame of those days recently to the effect that Bill had passed away and perhaps hadn't had such a tranquil life.

Does anyone know what happened to him? He lived in Mill End Road, half way to West Wycombe. Sister and a brother.

John Comer (1954 - 1961)

Alan Weston

Re: Billy Willson (W J Willson)

Postby Alan Weston » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:10 am

I attended RGS 1953-1960. Bill was about a year younger than me. I worked with him at Equity & Law 1960-62 then lost touch with him, but I read that he had died about 20 years ago.
Alan Weston

John Saunders
Site Administrator

Postby John Saunders » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:58 am

I checked family records and found that a William Joseph Willson, with a date of birth in 1943 that tallies with the one given for Billy in 1950s Grey Books, had died in the fourth quarter of 1996 in Oxford. He was married to Wendy, who still seems to live in the Wycombe area.
John Saunders
RGS 1963-70 (personal website http://www.saund.co.uk)

ArfurMinit

Postby ArfurMinit » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm

I was at Newland Park College of Education in Chalfont St Giles (1968-71) training to be a teacher, Bill Willson was there at the same time, in fact I think he may have started a year earlier, we both did English. He was a tall angular bearded individual in those days who lived off the West Wycombe Road. I did hear that eventually he became a Head Teacher at a school in the Wycombe area but sadly died at a relatively young age.