Jonathon Xavier Coudrille

Do you know what became of your schoolfriends? Or want to find out?
John Saunders
Site Administrator

Jonathon Xavier Coudrille

Postby John Saunders » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 am

Jonathon Xavier Coudrille (born November 1945, RGS 1957-61) is one of the school's most remarkable old boys. A good place to start looking for him is his Wikipedia page. He is a surrealist artist and musician, but also has a number of other artistic strings to his bow.

As he is now...

As he was at the RGS in 1958, 2nd row from the top, third from the left with slicked back hair...

His Wikipedia page didn't mention his attendance at the RGS until I put it there! But he's definitely an Old Wycombiensian - he is listed in the grey books of 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1960, although the distinctive 'X' initial only appears a couple of times and he spelled his surname 'Coudrill' whilst at school.

I vaguely recall reading something about him some years ago in which he shuddered at the coldness of High Wycombe. Not sure whether it was meant literally or metaphorically.
John Saunders
RGS 1963-70 (personal website http://www.saund.co.uk)

rodcreuse

Re: Jonathon Xavier Coudrille

Postby rodcreuse » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 am

I remember Jonathan Coudrill well - his claim to fame at school, although he rarely mentioned it, was that his father was Francis Coudrill, who created 'Hank the Cowboy' on children's TV. He was extremely bright, but constrained by some of the attitudes at RGS. His photo is fascinating - recognised the eyes straight away.

keith.fensom

Postby keith.fensom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:38 pm

I also remember Jonathan very well, looking at the photograph I am on the right (his left). He was one of those rare extremely multi-talented people and taught me to play some jazz chords on guitar.
He was also very individual in his dress sense and I remember him wearing a large black "Spanish" style hat and black cape to school.

roygrave@aol.com

Postby roygrave@aol.com » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 pm

I remember Jonathon well. He was an outrageously talented musician and artist, even as a teenager at RGS.

I think I may have shared in his public musical debut, as part of a short-lived skiffle group called "The YZs". Jonathon was certainly the musical back-bone of the group, being an accomplished instrumentalist on guitar & banjo. Ben Carritt played guitar, backed by myself on tea-chest bass & John Shackell on wash-board. He was not at the school for long, moving with his parents to the South-West, where he still works as an artist.